August 10, 2015, is a special day for Indians, and more broadly people of the Asian subcontinent. On this day, Sundar Pichai, Indian born American immigrant, was appointed the CEO of Google.
For many young & ambitious Indians looking to make a dent in the startup world, Pichai is now nothing less than a hero. A by-product of Pichai’s success is that his words are now taken as ‘words of wisdom, and rightly so. Anyone who has achieved the kind of success Pichai has must have insights everyone can benefit from.
In an attempt to collate Pichai’s thoughts, we collated 36 quotes attributed to him. And to make things easier for you, we bifurcated the quotes in the following categories: Life & Success, Work, Leadership, Education, Technology, Building Products, Competition, India, Family & Google.
Sundar Pichai Quotes on Life & Success
- “A person who is happy is not because everything is right in his life, he is happy because his attitude towards everything in his life is right.”
- “In life don’t react, always respond.”
- “You might fail a few times, but that’s Ok. You end up doing something worthwhile which you learn a great deal from.”
- “Most of how life plays out is up to you.”
- “Let yourself feel insecure from time, it will help you grow as an individual.”
- “Be impatient. It will create the progress the world needs.”
- “If you don’t fail sometimes, you are not being ambitious enough.”
- “Wear you Failures as a Badge of Honor”
Sundar Pichai Quotes on Work
- “It is always good to work with people who make you feel insecure about yourself. That way, you will constantly keep pushing your limits.”
- There are different usage patterns – I never do email during the day. I don’t multitask well at all. I don’t know how to be in a meeting and participate and be on email at the same time. I do see some people do it more effectively. I’ve never quite figured that out.
- “There are many powerful men and women in mobile. I’m fortunate to be part of that group. By no means do I think I’m the most powerful person.”
Sundar Pichai Quote on Leadership
- “As a leader, it is important to not just see your success but focus on the success of others.
Sundar Pichai Quotes on Education
- I do think it’s important to follow your dreams and do something which you are excited by. If you follow your heart and do what you like, you will always do much better. It doesn’t matter what your educational qualification is.”
- “Focus on education is a big strength. I want to see young people focus on creativity and take more risks.”
Sundar Pichai Quotes on Technology
- “Al is probably the most important thing humanity has ever worked on.”
- Computing is evolving beyond phones, and people are using it in context across many scenarios, be it in their television, be it in their car, be it something they wear on their wrist or even something much more immersive.
- “There’s an evolution from, today we tell computers to do stuff for us, to where computers can actually do stuff for us. For example, if I go and pick up my kids, it would be good for my car to be aware that my kids have entered the car and change the music to something that’s appropriate for them.”
- I would love for my phone to scream if I am about to miss an important thing in my life and never bother me if I’m doing something very important and the information coming in is less important than what I’m doing.
- The impact of giving someone a connected smartphone is no different from giving them a real computer. I look at how my kids learn and how different it is from how I learned because the impact of these things is just so huge. Sometimes I think we don’t fully internalize what it is to get the power of knowledge in everyone’s hands.
- “I loved technology while growing up.”
Sundar Pichai Quotes on Building Products
- “I am passionate about developing products that make lives better.”
- “The right moral compass is trying hard to think about what customers want.”
- One of the great things about an open system like Android is it addresses all ends of the spectrum. Getting great low-cost computing devices at scale to the developing world is especially meaningful to me.
- “When you run a platform on the scale, you have to make sure it’s truly open. That way, not only do you do well, so do others.
- “Good companies do whatever it takes to make sure apps are great and don’t hesitate to add features.”
Sundar Pichai Quotes on Competition
- “Larry used to say if you work on really difficult things you are better off because that way you don’t have competition, as others are not working on that difficult problem. And even if you fail, you end up doing something great in the process – that’s the philosophy that guided us all through these years.”
Sundar Pichai Quotes on India
- “I am fully confident that India will be a global player when it comes to digital economies.”
- “India has been, has long been, an exporter of talent to tech companies. But it is in India that’s now undergoing its own revolution.”
- “We are interested in India because it is amazingly young.”
- “What strikes me every single time is that the aspirations of Indians are unique and unparalleled. They’re very demanding, regardless of background”
Sundar Pichai Quote on Family
- “My dad and mom did what a lot of parents did at the time. They sacrificed a lot of their life and used a lot of their disposable income to make sure their children were educated.”
Sundar Pichai Quotes on Google
- “At Google, we have an ambitious approach to things we do, we call it moon shots.”
- “We try to use deep computer science to what we make so that we have a differentiated approach to solving problems.”
- Google teams have lots of autonomy, including from people like me.
- The thing which attracted me to Google and to the Internet in general is that it’s a great equalizer. I’ve always been struck by the fact that Google search worked the same, as long as you had access to a computer with connectivity, if you’re a rural kid anywhere or a professor at Stanford or Harvard.
- For me, it matters that we drive technology as an equalizing force, as an enabler for everyone around the world. Which is why I do want Google to see, push, and invest more in making sure computing is more accessible, connectivity is more accessible.
Read Quotes by More Business People